Rosie Perez

Rosie Perez was born to Lydia Perez (a merchant marine) in Bushwick, Brooklyn. She is Puerto Rican. Rosie was educated at Grover Cleveland High School, Ridgewood, Queens, New York. Then she enrolled at Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles, California. Rosie Perez was in her sophomore year of college and was just about to move back to New York from Los Angeles. Her friends had invited her to an excuse to go away party. When Spike Lee proposed that she work in his movie Do the Right Thing (1989), she agreed. It was her first major acting role. In Peter Weir's Fearless (1993), she played the supporting character Carla Rodrigo, for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Artist. (She was defeated by Anna Paquin for The Piano (1993).) The Latin community was the cause for the majority of my critique early in my career. I remember my parents taking me out for lunch and telling me "Can you take classes to help you tone down the accent?" Also, "When you're on a talk show, could you not be less hilarious and loud?". My voice was a constant source of criticism. I tried to change the way I spoke. Although I tried to change my voice, it wasn't my way of speaking. My octaves decreased as I grew up, which is a good thing. Boxing is about beating your fears. It's about fighting your own. Floyd Mayweather could be punched with a straight shot in the middle of his body and he'd be adamant about it. I can understand what he is doing. [Who mentioned Don Cornelius's fascination with her dancing] Don Cornelius was not interested in seeing me actually dance. I was dancing hip-hop and it was an entirely different style from Californians. They were only familiar with locking and popping, so hip-hop dance was not something they would like to learn. Don was thinking, "No. You're an attractive girl. I thought, "What? This is just so weird. Then I had to perform in high-heeled shoes. I've had never danced in high heels before. I was wearing the tiniest short dressthat's going up my stomach and I'm all like, Oh my God



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amanda Lamb personal life

Markie Post

Magda Apanowicz